Commentary, opinion and news on the world of hockey.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Welcome back, NHL

The NHL ushered in a new era yesterday, with the owners voting 30-0 to ratify the new CBA. And with the delightful and outrageously long overdue news comes the return of, well....me. My four month hiatus from anything even remotely connected to the NHL has been pushed aside now that I have something substantial to talk about.

So, the new CBA is a done deal, however, it will be some time yet before anyone knows for certain if the impact will be all positive.

My take on the new deal, with my limited knowledge of it, is that it's a definite step in the right direction from an owner point of view. But does this new reign on player salaries have any loopholes? I'm sure some may pop up, but even if they don't, if the NHL revenues climb high enough, the salary cap could theoretically be stretched quite high. We could one day again see the days of $60+ million payrolls. So time will be the only telling tale of how well this deal will function.

My main question now is what about the fans? The players and owners have apparently kissed and made up, no doubt they're busy high-fiving each other or bending each other over their respective sofas as we speak. But what do the fans get out of this?

So far, it would seem, very little. I don't anticipate a significant drop in ticket prices - if any at all, and even though I never expected a drop off in prices - what a slap in the face it is if there are no monetary concessions thrown our way.

Aside from that, the new look NHL is toying with the idea of more inter-divisional/inter-conference games. From where I sit, the idea of watching the Minnesota Wild play the Vancouver Canucks 8 times this coming year makes me want to puke. Worse than that, does this mean that teams out west will only see Sidney Crosby once in the next two to three seasons? Good grief I hope not.

But anyways, it's just nice to have the NHL gearing up for action again, and I look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas about hockey once again. The buyout and free agency period should be a complete gong show, and I've got my popcorn handy.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes! Welcome Back!

    It's too bad though that Bettman is still at the helm. He is a joke! Watching him on TV Fri was like watching some politician making promises that you know they can't keep. I'd trust him as far as I could throw him

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Brett Mirtle said…

    No kidding. I can't stand this guy; he's horrible for the game. Did anyone see the draft lottery? He was about as stimulating as a knitting convention. As he announced the number one pick, I thought he was about to fall asleep.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree,

    I love NHL Hockey. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

    You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite teams and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time the team wins. Also I can sell my team stock when the price goes up.

    check it out if something like this interests you.
    heres a link http://allsportsmarket.com
    you can log in and check it out for free..

    They just released IPO'S for NHL Hockey this week, so there are alot of good deals there.

    Keep up the good work on your blog!
    -Erik

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Anonymous best sports handicapping service said…

    If you are looking for the best information available about forum.com handicapping sports and other related subjects, this blog, Welcome back, NHL is a great place to start. Brett Mirtle has been kind enough to set up a place where all can meet and learn about forum.com handicapping sports and while posting to help others. Thanks and good luck!

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fantastic blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.

    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Bless you!

    Also visit my web-site :: ロレックスコピー

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?

    I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Also visit my webpage :: rolexスーパーコピー

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What's up to every body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this web site; this webpage consists
    of awesome and genuinely excellent data for readers.


    Here is my web-site ロレックスレプリカ

     

Post a Comment

<< Home