Commentary, opinion and news on the world of hockey.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

UHL Players: "Hypocrisy is unbelieveable"


Chris Chelios, Derian Hatcher and Kris Draper all signed with the Motor City Mechanics of the UHL (United Hockey League) yesterday. Needles to say, many of the league's players are rather upset.

Many of them were vocal about their thoughts, including the all-time minor league goal scorer and Flint Generals forward, Kevin Kerr:
"The hypocrisy of it is unbelievable," Kerr told the Detroit Free Press.

"They don't want a salary cap, but they'll come to a league that has a salary cap and take someone else's job....I make $700 a week, and I have a wife and two kids and a mortgage payment," Kerr told the paper. "Here I wish I could play in the NHL for a fraction of what they make, and here they're going to come play in our league for $500 a week. It's really bizarre."

"I don't think those guys have ever wondered about working a day in their life," he said. "They probably make more in a week than I do my whole season."
I hear ya Kevin. Anyone remember George Laraque and how vocal he was about saying that the players should not be going to Europe to take jobs? Well, I guess he didn't mean it as he's off to play there. Do the players retract everything they say?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger Jes GÅ‘lbez said…

    Hmm, a big slow goon playing in the finesse-oriented Swedish Elite League. Oil and Water...

    I wonder how many games he'll last?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home