Commentary, opinion and news on the world of hockey.

Monday, January 03, 2005

Gretzky worried about the game

The Great One believe that there may not be NHL hockey for the next two years if a deal is not reached quickly.
"If this is not decided in the next few days, I'm scared we could be looking at a year, a year and a half, two years, not just three months like a lot of people thought in September," Gretzky said Sunday during a news conference at the world junior hockey championship. "From April to October, the players don't get paid, so I can't see us coming to an agreement in August or September. If we don't find a way to make everyone who is part of this sort of happy and get a deal done, we could be looking at a long, long time before hockey is played in the NHL and that's very alarming too. I hope in the next couple weeks we can come to an agreement."
Can't say that I disagree with his statements. I don't think the next two weeks will bring any labour peace, however. The two sides are so tightly wound and stubborn that you'd have better luck playing pick up sticks with your butt cheeks than you would seeing an NHL game this year.

If you haven't noticed, I'm not an optimist when it comes to a new NHL CBA. I frimly believe that the season is lost. But, if that's what it takes to fix things from a fan perspective, then I'm just as prepared as the owners or the NHLPA are. My heels are dug into the sand and I'm in for the long haul because when you really get down to it, this is nothing more than a game. Instead of two teams going at it, it's the players and the owners duking it out. And instead of playing for the Stanley Cup, they are fighting for nothing other than money - and who will ultimately be in charge of the NHL.

Pull up a chair, grab a beer and have a slice of pizza. This game isn't going to end anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home