Commentary, opinion and news on the world of hockey.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Canadian juniors keep on truckin'


Canada's national junior squad coasted to a 5-0 win in a tune up match against Switzerland. Given that the Swiss tied the lowly Finns 3-3 in a tuesday game, I'll do my best to keep my excitement in check about Canada's victory.

What I won't hold back on was my satisfaction at witnessing the addition of Corey Perry to the top line. In my opinion, that's where he should be. I suppose the major knock on him is that he is limited in the defensive zone. So far, I haven't seen any signs of a defensive liability on Perry's part, but I will reserve my judgement until the junior nats' engage a more formidable foe.

Excited yet? Game one for Canada goes on Christmas day at 1:30 pm (Pacific time) vs. the Slovaks; a team that boasts the Ottawa Senators first round draft choice, defenseman Andrej Meszaros. I've had the pleasure of watching Meszaros play several times this year, and he hasn't disapointed during his tenure with the WHL's Vancouver Giants. In 34 games, he has racked up 24 points, including 7 goals, and is a very respectable +10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home